Monday, March 30, 2009

Folks who helped us make it happen !

Seven years is not too long a time to be writing your memoirs ! But b4 we get too big for our boots (hopefully, we never will) - i need to acknowledge some early support.
I write here about a few ULMs
1. Verghese. He is a marketing man, mainly in telecommunications, now pretty senior travelling the globe all the time. Back in 2002, he had quit one job, had 2 offers on hand and was wondering which one to take up.
He needed a break, came to Pune, stayed with us hoping for a quiet 2 weeks - when i was completely going berserk with bookstore idea. It was 3rd wk jan when he came. Poor guy ! he had no choice ! He postponed his joining date, stayed back, taught me about glow signs, neon, signages, went to visit a few bookstores with me to chk out shelving ideas and store decor ..... he stayed back almost for a month !
It was fun, and i had a bouncing board for all my crazy ideas !
2. Ajay Dasgupta : He walked into the Store yesterday ! He has been part of our journey and then suddenly vanished for 6 years only to re-appear yesterday. It was a complete moment of joy. Ajay was our first mascot for our karadi tales event, sweating it inside a thick bhaalu costume in April heat. He did all our street plays that year. We did quite a few workshops and reading sessions - he was our first Santa too ! Thanks Ajay, for coming back !
3. Vernen : our original vernie pooh ! Through his BSc course in India, Vernen was the South African who was more Indian than some of our guys ! Though initially he walked into the Store for the "airconditioning" on a hot summer afternoon, Vernen soon became part of the tnt family ! His bday comes up in a day, heres to Vernen in Johannesberg, happy bday from tnt.
4. And of course, the original ULM - it can't be said in a blog post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello TnT and my friend Janaki :-)

Serendipity - that bests describes what TnT is to me. Often, when I need to escape for a moment, my mind wonders to India and TnT. It is a happy place and something I can call home.

I have also grown up there trying to figure out life for a while.

TnT is not just a book shop, its an institution.

To all the other wonderful people I have met at the shop i envy you, its not so easy for me to walk over and have a bit of lunch with Janaki or sometimes just a chat.

Well done TnT, I am glad to be part of you.

Janaki & Shankar - Congrats and Thank You.

p.s. Shankar, i am still waiting for the Aloo Jeera recipe

Vernen