Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Telling time...to slow down!

While I was working at tnt many moons ago, there were often customers who walked in and said, "I don't have TIME to read!" Being a bibliophile and loving any chance to argue, I usually ended up lecturing them on finding the time for God's sake!
Now, having been in the 'real' working world for almost two years. I understand them a little better. It's true that between full-time work, family and friends, one gets little time to curl up with a book. I come home and watch sitcoms and dance around to filmy music, just to de-stress.
It took me a while to realise how much reading, my magnificent obsession, had receded. Luckily, I am surrounded by books, so I couldn't use the excuse of not having anything to read.
I didn't invent some marvellous time-twister to give me 26 hours in a day, nor did I give up on partying till 5am. I carry a book with me at all times. If I reach work early, I put down my things, go to Barista, order a strawberry smoothie and treat myself to an half-hour of peaceful reading. On my one day off a week, I visit a bookshop. I sit on steps outside malls and read.
This isn't about 'you should read.' It's just that I love reading and I don't want to become a boring, corporate-type person who prides herself on not having time. Nobody hands you time on a platter. Sometimes, maybe you just decide to give time to what makes you happy. And it works :)

2 comments:

janaki said...

What i like most abt this write-up, amongst other things is "reading" being a magnificent obsession ! love it ! i once thought of calling tnt "magnificent obsession" but it sounded too grave and serious, twistntales sounded so much better !

koshish said...

You are so so right! I have spent nearly 20 years working in the corporate sector and have never not had time to read, even with a new born baby or bringing up two girls with varied tastes! and have a partner who has juggled 3 jobs at the same time and plays music almost all the time - and i am yet to meet someone who has read and constantly reads more than him!
I am so glad there are young people like you. There's still hope!