Monday, September 8, 2008

As a retailer/ customer !

I write this as a consumer and retailer.

Many are our needs and requirements as customers. But the way we get serviced is pathetic. But the problem is we are beginning to accept shoddy service - if this is from small kirana merchants, it may still be ok.... But our/my experience shows they are damn good in service. Its the large format Store that's the issue. And this inspite of big Corporates with advanced systems running it. And they get away becoz we let them do it.

I have not got my card slip printout at "Bombay Store" because the machine ran out of paper. Its such a simple thing to load/ chk paper in card machine before a transanction. "Pulse" has misplaced my membership form 3 times. Now i am too tired to fill another form. I would rather pay a little more. Ditto with the big branded bookstore ! At "Reliance fresh", yesterday i was told, you get 1 kg sugar free, but we are out of sugar. In "More", when my husband didn't have membership number, coolly the points got added to some other member. We have the bills, and my husband has written to Aditya Birla Group, highlighting the corruption.... but no response.

My f-in law passed away in April, still my mom-in law is not receiving her pension (6 months), because "SBI" has misplaced papers TWICE ! Ditto with "ICICI bank" for demat. The less said about "Airtel" and "Reliance telecom", the better. And i'm not talking about the Subikshas and Big Bazaars of the world, where u are told clearly that this is a bargain hunt, do not expect service !

Phew, the list is endless ! I have got good service at Pankaj Varieties. And at Hanuman. And at Dhanashri. Everywhere else, i think we can teach a thing or two. I like to believe that we give good service. And that's why i am happier taking enthusiastic students rather tan "regular" employees.

Comments ?

2 comments:

Liquifier said...

I think the whole concept of do-it-yourself shops such as supermarkets make for lazy, incompetent service.
And the bigger a brand name and shopping concept, the less service because everybody is too busy being glossy and shiny.

On a simpler, more sentimental note, I think good service is a personal part of business that requires time and a little affection. Time, affection, being personal towards work is rare these days.

janaki said...

Thankyou liquifier. Am i glad to have you !!!