Sunday, April 29, 2007

friends and team tnt

I had no friends in Pune when i came in. This was the third time in my life i was inflicting this uprooting on myself.

I got married and moved to Dubai on the 7th day. I didn't know a soul in Dubai, except my cousin Vaithy. We moved to chennai in 1996. Again, didn't have a single friend there ... but yes, mama and cousins. And moved to Pune in Apr'2000. Didn't know a soul here. But, today as Shalini says, half of Aundh and Baner knows you !

But Friends ? Yes twistntales has given me some absolutely special friends.

Sumitra for one. In those early days of tnt, a very lost soul (she still seems lost sometimes)would walk in to the Store, sometimes alone, sometimes with Yamini ... and just chill. Occasionally she would pick up a book, sometimes glance through many, soak in ..... pick up some gifts for next few b'days, something to read to Yamini, and walk out still a little lost, sometimes more relaxed. I noticed her a couple of times. Then once Yamini had a bandaged head. I asked her about it. I used to be very reticent about talking at a "personal" level. Till then our conversation was limited to the books that she was looking for and what will make good gifts. And she told me that she had to have stitches on her head for some injury. and Yamini was very young, probably 3. I remember that conversation - on why yamini then had short hair.
Then i started seeing her more often, sometimes daily, sometimes (as she says) even twice a day ! and slowly got to know her better.

Last week, we had lunch together, Sumitra and me. It was special. Her bday was coming, and i thought it appropriate to celebrate our knowing each other. I'm seeing Sumitra grow too. As we all struggle through our daily anxieties trying to balance good motherhood with professional aspirations, we need a good friend to lean on, to talk to, to bond with, to do things together.... i'm glad i found Sumitra. No hassles, committed, as geniune a person that one can get... Tia calls her the most beautiful person, i couldn't agree more !

thanks Sumitra. You are truly special to me and twistntales. And thanks for threatening about your black flag demo. I think i have put it behind me now.

"friends and team tnt" to be continued.

No comments: