Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Now We are Five

If a life can be lived in a year and a half, then I have lived mine. A life that began in my hands and took over my heart. One where fantastic dreams and tender talks were commonplace.
This is twistntales for me.
I remember when Shuchita, my stepmum and a tnt regular, asked me if I wanted to work there. I didn't pause to think, just leapt in with a 'yes!' Next day, I got a call from a very official-sounding Geetanjali asking me to come in for an interview. I remember I wore jeans, a grey-and-black kurta and silver earrings. I don't remember all that I said, except I think I told Janaki I was a complete asocial. She hired me anyway :) I came home and called the few people I like and told them! My dad just looked at me and went, 'this is like asking a drunkard to guard a liquor store.'
This is twistntales for me.

There are a million stories, even more memories. I didn't know how to reload a stapler, let alone use a card-machine. I messed up, I did. But I looked forward to the learning. Life as part of teamtnt demands nothing less than complete commitment. I found myself giving eagerly. I missed family vacations, my friends complained when I had to rush off as five o' clock...I was ok with it. The keys to the store, I guarded(still do) fiercely. My wallet often consists of a torn ten-rupee note and the tnt keys.
This is twistntales for me.

For a certified asocial, it came as a surprise that the people of tnt became dearer to me than even the books. Very special customers....Mr. Ramgopal Rao who makes my day by simply laughing his ultra-happy laugh, Mr. Srinivas and his Theories of the Universe, Sumitra who is easily our most beautiful customer, Mr. Hemanshu Narsana...for allowing me to rag him, Mrs Sangeeta Ganpati..I shall miss you on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Devashish and Rupali,Mrs Saratchandran ...I'll remember your blessings every Woman's Day...all those who have recognized me outside the Store as a part of tnt, all those who mistook Janaki and me for mother and daughter, and to all of you who think I own twistntales...thank you immensely.

As for colleagues...where do I begin?
Geetanjali..we have shared tnt to its fullest. You have taken care of me so many times and watching you work was a constant inspiration. Love you.

Jahnavi...Think of all the crises we've handled!Customers trying to exchange books, random men asking us out,not-so-random He's... Thank you for being so constant and sharing all my woes and worries. You're the only reason I'm less-than-hysterical about leaving.

Alisha..I still think there was something wrong with the front-tyre of your bike! I miss the rides. I can't sing in the rickshaws, the rick-guys would probably charge me extra. Looooooooooove you.

Akash..For loving pink, for being hyper-enthusiastic, for having such great taste in women :)

Vernen..Thank you for being so Vernen! We've gone through and got past so much...I'm so glad I know you.

Aditya..I truly wish I could have left my part of tnt in your hands. Really really really.

Samar. Here is where we met, where the miracle unfolded. You, the most precious of all...

...and so many others. Aarti, for the pig-jokes. Shibani who puts up with my whinings and terrible jokes almost daily, Vidya who insists I never see her, Shweta who is just a sweetheart...

...and the Creators...

Janaki...you have pampered, provoked, pushed and watched.And I, have imbibed, struggled and grown. Thank you for making twistntales and for making me a part of it. Thank you for the one time you told me I was family. Most of all, thank you for knowing that I have to go...
Shankar..for re-asserting my faith in men
Nandini...for being an angel and the loveliest eight-year-old I know. You're going to glow throughout life.

It's almost time to go. This is where I have grown. I have worked, gotten dusty, screamed in delight. I have fallen in love, so much. Stood pressed against the door waiting...I have reviewed 14 books in a single evening. Listened to favourite songs. Run after customers with flashlights when there's no electricity. I have made friends and sisters and mothers. Here is where I have shed my skin and my tears. And emerged whole. This is a big part of the answer to 'Who am I?'
This is twistntales for me.

No comments: